State of Michigan Judicial District Advice of Rights

1. You have been brought to court on a misdemeanor charge. You have the following basic rights:

a. To plead guilty or not guilty or to stand mute. If you stand mute, a plea of not guilty will be entered. You may plead no contest with the permission of the court.

b. To have a trial by judge or jury.

c. To have the assistance of an attorney.

2. You have the right to an attorney appointed at public expense if you are indigent (without money to hire an attorney) and if

a. the offense charged requires a minimum jail sentence, or

b. the court determines that it might sentence you to jail.

3. You may have to repay the expense of a court appointed attorney.

4. If you have a trial, you have the following rights:

a. To call witnesses to speak for you at trial. You may get an order signed by the court to require witnesses to come to court.

b. To see, hear, and question all witnesses against you at trial.

c. To be a witness for yourself or to remain silent. If you choose not to be a witness on your own behalf, the prosecuting official may not comment on your refusal to testify.

d. To be presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

5. If you plead guilty or no contest and your plea is accepted, you will not have a trial of any kind and will give up the rights listed in items 2 and 4 above.

6. You have the right to be released on bond.

7. If you are now on probation or parole and you enter a plea of guilty (or no contest) or a finding of guilt is made by judge or jury, it may result in a violation of your probation or parole.

8. Except for alcohol or substance abuse/driving offenses or unless otherwise advised by the court, you can be sentenced up to 93 days in jail, fined up to $100.00 plus costs, or both. (The court will advise you if there is a minimum jail sentence.)

9. Fines, costs, and other financial obligations imposed by the court must be paid at the time of assessment.

10. Possible sentences and license actions in alcohol or substance abuse/driving and retail fraud cases are shown on the other side of this form.

11. An appeal to circuit court may be taken within 21 days from date of sentence.

12. If you require special accommodations to use the court because of disabilities, or if you require a foreign language interpreter to help you to fully participate in court proceedings, please contact the court immediately to make arrangements.


found by